Much of the information contained on this website has been drawn from the excellent guidebook to St Cynllo's written by Rev. Brian Whatmore - this lovingly written and scholarly guide is highly recommended for those who would like to learn more about the history of this beautiful Church.
Copies of the guidebook
are available at the
The church building St. Cynllo founded here was probably one of wattle and mud, though that could well have developed swiftly into a simple stone building - perhaps similar to the Church of the Holy Cross at Mwnt on the coast between Aberporth and Cardigan Island. Few details are available of the church which existed on this site from the 5th or 6th centuries up to the time of its demolition in 1868, except that Meyrick wrote in 1808 that it "consisted of a chancel and porch".
The church was included in the great survey of Pope Nicholas IV in 1291 and in that of Henry VIII in 1535.
The present church stands on an elevated site and commands an exquisite view down the Vale of Bronwydd towards the River Teifi.
The Lloyd family of Bronwydd and the Tyler family of Mount Gernos (near Coedybryn village) were largely responsible for building this fine edifice between 1868 and 1870. The medieval church had got into bad repair and it was thought better, instead of restoring, to rebuild it altogether, with the exception of the tower, which was comparatively modern.
Mr John Middleton, the architect of Cheltenham, with the co-operation of Sir Thomas Lloyd of Bronwydd, and Mr Gwinnett Tyler of Mount Gernos, brought together all that was lovely both in architecture and art into the sacred building thereby making it a fitting temple for the worship of Almighty God. It is built of stone in the Early English style with chancel, nave, vestry, and south porch beneath the tower and spire which houses one bell. The church is 32 yards long and 9 yards wide, the same dimensions as the former building.
LLANGYNLLO, St. Cynllo (1867-1871)
Groundplan created by John Middleton