st cynllo's church

 

 

llangynllo ceredigion

Acknowlegement

Much of the information contained on this website has been drawn from the excellent guidebook to St Cynllo's written by Rev. Brian Whatmore - this lovingly written and scholarly guide is highly recommended for those who would like to learn more about the history of this beautiful Church.

guide

Copies of the guidebook

are available at the

Church

poppy P1070253a
2020Vision

Listed Buildings

The Church

Community: Troedyraur

Grade: II*

Locality: Llangynllo

Date first listed: 10/02/94

Name/Number: Church of St Cynllo

Cadw Ref: 122/C/52 (10)

NG Ref: SN 352 439

Situated by Glebe Farm, some 1km SSW of Coedybryn.

 

History:

Rebuilt apart from tower in 1868-70 by John Middleton & Son, of Cheltenham, replacing a church of c!810. Largely paid for by Sir T. D. Lloyd of Bronwydd. Builders: Davies & Thomas of Penrhiwllan. The tower was called "modern" in 1867 and had a slated spire, it may date from 1810, but looks older. The present spire dates from 1868-70. Stone carving outside and inside may be by Boulton of Cheltenham. The original N vestry was converted to an organ chamber and a vestry added at the nave SW, 1897, by E.V. Collier of Carmarthen.

Exterior: Coursed rubble stone with Bath stone dressings, steep tile roof with crested ridge. Coped shouldered gables and cross finials. Nave, chancel, N organ chamber, S tower with lean-to vestry to left. Decorated Gothic style/Raised plinth, elaborate window tracery with circles in heads, hoodmoulds with carved head stops, moulded course below chancel sills, stepped buttresses (clasping at outer angles), and ornate carved chancel eaves course with foliate bosses. Four-bay nave, with 2-light windows, 4 to N, 2 to S, 3-light big W window. S W lean-to vestry has reused original nave S window in W end, and S pointed door. Tower to r. is short, square with octagonal SW stair up to base of bell-chamber, which has plain leaded lancets. Pointed S door, triangle E window both 1868. Overhanging slate broach spire, with louvered lucarnes. Chancel is narrower, two-bay, with traceried single-lights, 2 to S, one to N, N organ chamber with N chimney (vestry until 1897) and ornate 3-light E window.

 

Interior.

Remarkable High Victorian polychrome interior in brick to nave, stone to chancel. Nave walls are red brick banded in black brick and Bath stone, with chequer work in red and white brick under eaves. Porch under tower is also polchrome brick with ornate shafted inner door. Segmental pointed window heads are in black brick and Bath stone, former first S window has been infilled in ashlar over pointed vestry door. Eight-bay open nave roof of arched-braced collar trusses with windbracing. Four trusses are carried down to massive Bath stone corbels with floral carving. The chancel arch is especially ornate on corbels of three angels, thick marble column shafts with massive foliate caps and moulded arch slightly banded in grey stone. Some foliate carving. Hoodmould with carved head stops. Two steps to chancel, which has boarded panelled seven-sided roof with light stencilling. Ashlar lightly-banded walls with foliate-carved dado rail. Four carved stone musician angel corbels and four smaller angels in angles. N organ arch, segmental pointed with two pairs of musician angels as corbels. Encaustic tile floors, more ornate in sanctuary. One step to sanctuary, brass altar rails. One step edged in red marble to altar. East window has thin column shafts to tracer}-, marble angle shafts with floral caps, ballflower ornament to banded arch, and hoodmould with ballflower and head stops. Low pointed piscina to chancel N and small aumbry recess to S with marble shafting. Seat recess under first S window.

 

Fittings:

Font dated 1869 given by Tylers of Mount Gernos on massive squat granite shaft,

lush floral band, octagonal bowl with Evangelist symbols in four roundels and carved scenes in other four. Very ornate ashlar pulpit front, memorial to G. M. Lloyd (dl 849), canted to nave, with broad centre Gothic arch and narrower arches at outer angles. Marble-shafted columns, with floral capitals and angel arch-supporters. Arches are deeply moulded with floral ornament, outer arch heads are outsailing. Carving of Christ preaching in centre and small statues of saints under corner arches. Alabaster diapering in spandrels with two marble carved heads in small roundels. Alabaster moulded top slab. Stone steps up to right and brass rail. Canopied statue of Ruth in nave SE angle to Henrietta Lloyd (d!871). Gothic organ by Vowles of Bristol. Very ornate reredos of 1871 given by Tylers of Mount Gernos, diapered stone with two alabaster angel roundels, diapered centre mandorla with white marble cross ornamented with marble half-spheres. Marble shelf with ballflower ornament. Gothic stalls and reading-desk. Pews with pierced quatrefoils in bench ends and nine 3-branched candelabra.

 

Stained glass:

Fine E window 1878 by J.H. Powell of Hardman & Co., C14 style with Christ, St Thomas and St Mary. Three chancel side windows 1909. Nave N third window 1928 by

A.L. and C.E. Moore. West window 1919 by A.L. Moore. Monuments. From W: onN: Sarah

Lloyd (dl 812) draped urn, matching monument opposite to James Lloyd (dl 827). Next N and 2 matching fine neoclassical memorials, on N to Sarah Jones (dl 796) and John Jones (d!807), and opposite to Thomas Lloyd (d!775) and Ann Lloyd (d!787), with draped sarcophagus, by Foster and Walker of Bristol. Above S door, plaques to E. Colby (d!824)

and G. Davies of Penybeili (early C19), latter with urn. S wall Gothic monument to Thomas Lloyd (dl 845), by The Marble Works, Westminster. N side marble plaque with urn and tree to Mary Lloyd (d!830) and marble pedimented plaque with coloured glass lozenges to Sir M. Lloyd (dl933)

 

Graded II* as the best example in S.W. Wales of a High Victorian estate church, with exceptional polychrome interior and carved work.

 

Reference:      The Welshman 16/2/1872, 4/10/1878, 1/4/1887.

Carmarthen Journal 1/3/1867. 5/12/1919. ftl

Lambeth Palace ICBS file 06629 1867-70 plans and correspondence.

Gloucester Record Office D2970 108 1867-70 plans.

National Library of Wales SD/F/389 Faculties 1897(vestry)1928(stainedglass).

 

 

The Vault

Community: Troedyraur Locality: Llangynllo

Name/Number: Bronwydd enclosure W of Llangynllo church

 

Grade: II

Cadw Ref: 122/C/53 (4)

NG Ref: SN 351 439

 

Situated immediately W of W wall of Llangynllo church.

 

History: Mid C19 railed enclosure around burial vault of the Lloyd family of Bronwydd.

Description: Square enclosure with low Cilgerran stone rusticated plinth with slate coping. Cast-iron spearhead railings with urn-capped stanchions. There were attached brass coats of arms, of which one survives on S side. Grassed enclosure with late C19 or C20 granite slab "The vault of the Lloyds of Bronwydd, Lords Marchers of the Barony of Kernes".

Included for group value with the church.

 

 

The Old Rectory

Community: Troedyraur Grade: II

Locality: Llangynllo Cadw Ref: 122/C/54 (4)

Name/Number: The Old Rectory NG Ref: SN 351 439

 

Situated just W of Llangynllo church approached by drive passing North of Glebe Farm.

 

History: Later CIS and earlier C19 rectory, the front range probably earlier C19, the back CIS. probably in two phases.

 

Exterior:

Roughcast with slate roofs, and stone end stacks. Timber eaves brackets. Two-storey, three- window front range with hornless 12-pane sashes to first floor, two later C19 canted bays and later Cl 9 timber porch to ground floor. Bays are corniced with 2-4-2-pane sashes. Porch has chamfered posts, side-lights and top-lights to front. Earlier C 19 6-panel door within, the top two panels diamond-traceried and glazed. Rear has gabled stair tower with arched window. Rear NW wing, in two sections, taller end range, each 2-window, 2-storey with N end stacks, and 12-pane sashes, the left ground floor sash C20 replacing a door. Lean-to rear dairy.

 

Interior: Front range has centre passage with reeded ceiling border, paired N end arches with timber fluted pilasters, one to stair, other to slate-floored space under stairs. Stick-baluster stairs with ramped rails and thin column newels. One flight up, short return and landing rails. 6-panel doors. Rear ground floor rooms have oak joists and large N end fireplace. Plank door into dairy. Salt cupboard next to inner room fireplace.

 

A well-preserved earlier C19 rectory with good interior detail and earlier rear ranges.

Llangynllo is remarkably fortunate to have, within such a small group of buildings, three separate listings - such is the importance of the site.  The Church in particular has a Grade II* listing - an extremely rare status in Wales, and a reflection of just how special a place it is. Usually the presence of 3 listed buildings would make Llangynllo a Conservation Area.

 

It is described thus in the following official listings - "As the best example in S.W. Wales of a High Victorian estate church....."

P1000021a P1000029 P1000030 window1 window2 the-pulpit P1000015