Much of the information contained on this website has been drawn from the excellent guidebook to St Cynllo's written by Rev. Brian Whatmore - this lovingly written and scholarly guide is highly recommended for those who would like to learn more about the history of this beautiful Church.
Copies of the guidebook
are available at the
The History section is divided into the following broad headings -
The Lloyds of Bronwydd
The Lloyd family of Bronwydd and the Tyler family of Mount Gernos (near Coedybryn village) were largely responsible for building this fine edifice between 1868 and 1870. The medieval church had got into bad repair and it was thought better, instead of restoring, to rebuild it altogether. Mr John Middleton, the architect of Cheltenham, with the co-operation of Sir Thomas Lloyd of Bronwydd, and Mr Gwinnett Tyler of Mount Gernos, brought together all that was lovely both in architecture and art into the sacred building thereby making it a fitting temple for the worship of Almighty God. It is built of stone in the Early English style with chancel, nave, vestry, and south porch beneath the tower and spire which houses one bell. The church is 32 yards long and 9 yards wide, the same dimensions as the former building.